Labels

Monday, June 13, 2016

Motor City Pride 2016, Orlando, The Tonys, and Hamilton

This was quite the eventful weekend! There were some good things that happened and some not so good. Everything started off great when I went to Motor City Pride on Saturday with my Mom and Aunt. This was my first time going and I've wanted to attend ever since I first came out nearly six years ago when I was about 14. It gave me a chance to finally wear my Bi Pride shirt and I also painted my nails the colors of the Bi Pride Flag. Everyone at the festival was just so happy and nice. It was great to be in such a huge, diverse crowd of people and know that none of them held anything against me just for being me. It was really hot but it was totally worth it. I hope that next year I can go for the parade.



When I woke up today after having just gone to my first pride festival the day prior I was devastated to hear the news of the Orlando shooting. I fear that I don't even have the words to describe what I am feeling about this tragedy. We've come so far what with the marriage ruling last June but it seems the U.S. has taken huge steps backwards in its acceptance of the LGBT community since that day. I just hope the rest of us can continue to fight against those prejudiced people who would rather see their fellow humans crash and burn than even be tolerant of anyone different. My heart goes out to all those effected by the United State's largest civilian massacre.


As horrible as today's events were, I couldn't let it put too much of a damper on things since tonight was the 70th Annual Tony Awards. I've been watching the Tonys for eight years and this year was the best. James Corden did a wonderful job hosting and his opening sequence was perfection!


The Tonys were dedicated to the victims of the Orlando shooting. This was so perfect and typical. Theatre is the most accepting community I have ever been a part of. Broadway is probably the most diverse and welcoming place in this country right now. Everything about the Tonys tonight reflected that. From one of the most diverse musicals in history (cough ... Hamilton) winning 11 awards (including Best Musical) to James Corden's speech about absolutely anyone being able to be whoever they want to be to the numerous knocks on the worst person in America (Donald Trump). This night was perfection and exactly the kind of energy that needed to be put into the world at this moment.

Some other highlights include:

The Hamilton Performance

The School of Rock Performance

and

James Corden's Broadway Carpool Karaoke


I can't know if things will ever get better or if we will ever have quite as great a President as Obama again but one can hope. Sometimes I am astounded at how horrible America is right now but other times terrifying events like the Orlando shooting or brilliant works like Hamilton remind me that as terrible as everything might seem we truly are lucky to be alive right now. You never know when will be your last day or who will tell your story.


Oh and by the way Alexander Hamilton was bi. I like to think he would be on the right side of history right now and that he would want to remind everyone that history has its eyes on you.


No comments:

Post a Comment